Anglesey 11th/12th May 2013

Unlike the weather, the championship is hotting up!

Race Report


Changing conditions in the lead up to Saturdays qualifying session made set up choice difficult for the drivers before they filed out onto the stunning Anglesey International Circuit. The track surface varied between damp patches kicking up spray and virtually dry areas right around the 2.2 mile circuit. After some initial jostling for track position the session settled down and drivers began to put down some meaningful times. Paul Sheard came out on top, edging out Matt Davies for pole by just 6/100ths of a second. A great lap by Will Chappell saw him take up 3rd position on the grid ahead of previous winner Andrew Clarkson and Mike Comber, who was again struggling with a down on power engine. Championship new comers John Davies and Adam Brindle set solid times in their first outing in MX5 SuperCup cars, with Ray Worley rounding out the top 8.  

Race 1

The first race of the weekend began in brilliant sunny/dry conditions with Sheard converting pole into a lead at the first corner, one which he would maintain to the end of the race. Behind him Davies got out of shape and onto the grass at the fast Church Corner allowing Chappell and Clarkson passed. The three battled hard for a couple of laps, braking three abreast for the hairpin at one point with eventually Clarkson, then Davies finding ways passed Chappell by picking up a tow on the long back straight. On lap three Davies had a big moment again running wide at Church this time ending up sliding sideways down the track in a cloud of tyre smoke. Superb avoiding action by Chappell prevented a potentially nasty accident. This incident gave the opportunity for Mike Comber to hold on round the outside of John Davies braking for Rocket to move up another place into 4th. With Davies up and running again he then set about atoning for his errors, catching and passing John Davies and Comber then setting his sights on Chappell in 3rd. At this point the rain began to fall creating a greasy track surface and changing conditions for the drivers to deal with, stringing out the field. Davies slowly reeled in Chappell, eventually passing him along the back straight, with conditions worsening. Second place Clarkson was struggling for grip and Davies clawed back 3.7 seconds over the final lap. The two to exited the last corner side by side, Davies pinching second place at the line by 0.036 seconds, some way off the untroubled Sheard.

Race 1 from car 91, Matt Davies  

Race 2

Rain just before the first race on Sunday again saw the drivers greeted by a damp and greasy track. Off the start this benefitted Davies starting in second, able to take the wider grippier line around the outside of Sheard at the first corner, edging into the lead. The front two pulled a gap on the field in the tricky conditions and on lap three Sheard hung on around the outside of Davies at the hairpin and got better drive off the corner to slip into the lead. The two fought hard to the finish, never separated by more than 1.5 seconds throughout the 20 minute race, finally crossing the line bumper to bumper, Sheard taking a second win of the weekend by just 0.2 seconds at the line. Mike Comber came a quiet third, the wet conditions allowing him to drive around car issues. Throughout the race Chappell, Clarkson and John Davies fought hard for fourth place.

Race 3 

Conditions were tricky again for the final race of the meeting with a definite wet start to proceedings. Into the first corner again the wider line allowed Davies to sneak into the lead round the outside of Sheard. As the pack exited the banking Clarkson again struggling for grip slithered off to the inside with others taking avoiding action. In the early laps Davies and Sheard again stretched away from the rest of the field with Davies holding Sheard at bay. Rain was no longer falling and as the track dried Sheard was able to close down the leader. Some close battling eventually resulted in a small mistake from Davies on lap 10, running wide at Rocket allowing Sheard to slip through into the lead and take the win two laps later by 1.4 seconds. Hard racing down the field saw newcomer John Davies follow Comber home in 4th position while the recovering Clarkson was held at bay by Adam Brindle in 6th.

Special mention goes to Ray Worley who drove all weekend with a badly injured finger following a spin in testing. ‘If they’d strapped it up I wouldn’t get my glove on!’ and also to the Anglesey weather for keeping everyone on their toes.

Another exciting weekends racing at the BRSCC SuperCup's farthest travelling event. With a stunning weekend from Paul Sheard and a tough one for Andrew Clarkson, the Championship is wide open. 


Next Race

Snetterton 300 - 10th - 11th Apr 2021

Last Race

There have been no races in 2021 yet.

Current Standings

There have been no races in 2021 yet.